Sunday, October 16, 2011

JDud

It has been a little while, but get ready because I will have many posts coming. I have had a free profile on Jdate since I moved to DC (many moons ago). I refused to pay for the longest time because of the looks of the people on the site (no offense to my friends who are on it here). The messages stacked up over the years that I couldn't read and the curiosity really started to set in. It was a brand new Jewish New Year and they were having a special so I bit the bullet and bought a month. I figure I will message and talk to the handful of people I may be interested in and read my 1,000+ messages. Some of the messages were hilarious, needless to say.

Anyway, I messaged a few and got the ball rolling. One guy looked decent, but his e-mails were eh, kinda blah. I started referring to him as "Boring from Bethesda." So he asked me out for drinks, then told me to pick the place. I said, "you're the guy, you pick." He then said "let's just meet at the metro and figure it out from there." How hard is it to pick a bar?

I show up at the metro and he called me to ask if I was there. Then he started walking from Walgreens to me (meaning he had to get out of the metro and walk away from it even though we said we'd meet there aka he was like staking out the scene creepily from afar). He walks over to me in a Russell athletic type of oversized hoodie, a US Open t-shirt, wide leg cargo pants, and large white sneakers. He looked like he was going sight seeing or something! Then he kinda put his hand out to shake then took it back. He could not look me in the eye and gave one word answers! I said, "hi, how are you?" and he said, "Good."Basically I was screwed and was thinking how am I going to do this!? He ended up deciding on Firehook, a bakery, which is not "going for drinks,"but it turned out better because it was quick and they kicked us out thirty minutes later because they were closing. We happened to run into two girlfriends of mine and I introduced him.

THE KICKER: the next day he texted me "It was great to meet you and your friends. What does the blonde one do? Is she single :) ?"

I was shocked. He is so clueless! He was so socially awkward and I think he has no idea that all of this is unacceptable to do. I felt it was my duty to at least somewhat educate him, so I told him it is kind of rude to do that. He said "Sorry! What are your plans for Yom Kippur? You can come with my brother and me if you want."Again, clueless.

Walking to this date I knew it would be a JDud and I was right. The good news, it can only improve from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment