Valentine's Day is upon us and for those of us who do have a valentine, we want to know...what do I get this person??? Now, don't be so hard on yourself. A valentine could be your mother (like Bradley Cooper), your grandmother (like me), or your friends (again, like me). No matter who it is, I think it is a great holiday to tell someone you love how you feel about him/her and why, especially if that person is single. It's a great feeling to know that you're loved by someone, anyone.
I usually spend about twenty minutes and fifty dollars in CVS to find the perfect card for each family member and friend. Some families may not do this, but in mine we send Valentine's Day cards. I love doing this for friends and then taking the time to write a meaningful note inside as to why I truly love them and their friendship. Unfortunately, this year the snowpocalypse in DC prevented some of those cards from getting purchased, but it is a great, easy, and often underrated V-day gift.
If it's your grandma or mother (in addition to a gf or bf), I say send a nice bouquet of flowers from 1-800-flowers. I have received these on a couple of occasions (not to boast) and have sent them as well. I sent them to Grammy for her birthday I think and she LOVED them. Everyone loves fresh flowers because it is so rare to receive them and therefore, makes it extra special when you actually do. It's also a great surprise and feeling to have a present delivered to your door step. I think this is a great idea and it's really not very expensive. Here's a tip: do NOT send red roses...so cliche and too romantic. Do all different colors of roses or a different flower. I once got colorful tulips, which I loved. I love 1-800-flowers because they keep your information and will send you reminders or deals to your e-mail. It's just so convenient and always results in a happy recipient.
To add, even girlfriends will LOVE LOVE LOVE fresh flowers! You can't go wrong. This brings me to the question that sparked this post's conception. What do you do when you have just started seeing someone or are with someone, but not official and V-day creeps up on you before you are ready for that kind of love celebration? How do you do something for the person you're dating, but not have it be too serious. After all, the last thing you want is to freak out your semi-bf/gf on the day when you're supposed to be happy and together.
This is a tough question indeed mainly because I am never that great at thinking of presents for the male species (luckily haven't needed to so much in the past). First, you must do something, if you are pretty seriously dating. For example, if he wants to see you on V-day then I'd say you need to have something prepared. If he has other plans or did not make any with you, then I'd say you two are not so serious and do not go out of your way. He's probably hooking up with other people or trying to hook up with other people (sorry to be the bearer of bad news).
If you do have plans to see each other, then it is not rocket science to determine that a simple, sweet token of your affection is acceptable. If the person has a special interest, something along those lines would be good. As I said, before, you can never go wrong getting flowers and/or taking a girl out to dinner. For girls, it is a little more difficult because we don't want to seem like we're more into the guy or scare him away. Maybe making like a cute breakfast in bed/brunch for him or depending on the weather a little picnic? I personally love to cook so those would be fun for me and I am sure he'd enjoy the final product. If you're into the more kinkier/wild stuff you could do something fun for him in the bedroom? Maybe something as simple as some yummy toppings or purchasing a hot little number? I know a couple of my friends would be inclined to do something like this. You could also pull a Samantha from Sex and the City and make him sushi, but we all saw how well that worked out. I'd say as a general rule, do something you both would be comfortable with and something that's just a little extra special. Anyone have any better ideas?
Hopefully this helped or at least led you to some ideas of your own for you and your valentine of 2010.
Hopefully this helped or at least led you to some ideas of your own for you and your valentine of 2010.

No comments:
Post a Comment