Oh Jdate how you puzzle me so. If you are Jewish or of some decent that is very tight knit and crazy like Jews, then you know the pressures we often face to marry someone Jewish or Greek or Indian or whatever race/ethnicity you are. It has been embedded in our brains since we were little by our Great-Grandmas, our Grandmas, our Mothers, Fathers, Aunts, etc. Anyone with a mouth (because we all know no one holds back) has probably said you need to marry someone Jewish who can take care of you and treat you right. I hear my grandma right now saying "Don't you like the life you have? Don't you enjoy nice things? You need to marry someone who is well off. Though, of course money isn't everything, but you don't want someone who can't provide. blah blah blah... OHHH you met a boy? What does his father do? Where's he from? I do not think I need to say more.
As someone who was indoctrinated with this mission and as someone who grew up with mostly Jewish friends, I have been molded and psychologically programmed to be attracted to Jews (granted not the majority, who are veryyyy dorky). It is a fact that if you grow up with certain features around you, you think those features are attractive. I learned it in psych in college.
This brings me to the ultimate goal of meeting an NJB Nice Jewish Boy. Oooo I should totally write a post just on Jewish boys. They are quite a specimen. Anyway, many of us in our early single twenties become a little nervous as potential soulmates are getting scooped up all the time and as our interactions with single males are becoming fewer and far between (as my Grandma reminded me all the time... after college it's realllyyy hard to meet someone). We then turn to JDATE, the online dating website for Jewish singles (though some are DEF not Jewish on there). Many of us have mixed feelings about online dating and for good reason. There are many arguments for and against and I really see both sides of the coin. I am going to pause here and let you think of your feelings about online dating before I write my own thoughts and before my thumbs fall off.
No comments:
Post a Comment