I have sort of been avoiding this post because I still am not sure how I feel. I feel that online dating is a good way to find people, especially if it's a specialized site like Jdate, whom you have a serious interest in dating. It is classier than meeting in a bar, but slightly even dare I say sketchier/parthetic. Not to say that it is pathetic, but sometimes it does appear that way and here's why. Many guys who do not have confidence to hit on or talk to a girl in person resort to this mode of communication where they can hide behind their computer screen and misleading pictures. Their awkward behaviors are unbenownst to the innocent lady they are trying to woo, until they meet in person. This is when she realizes he may look good on paper (or a profile), but he is not confident, awkward, has a high voice, and is about 2-3 inches shorter than he claims in his profile. This is the shortcoming of online dating (no punn intended). You do not really know what you'll get until you meet in person and for some it can be frustrating to go on many bad/awkward dates.
Background- I do have a FREE Jdate profile. Whatever, I'll admit it. Everytime I realize how ugly/weird the guys are, I swear it off, de-activate my pofile, and convince myself I should be able to meet someone in real life the normal, good old fashioned way. Then, I get desperate and feel as though I am never meeting anyone the way I am living my life currently with work, etc. and I have a few friends on and I break down and re-activate jusssstttt to seee if there's ANYONE cute. Usually it's the same old weirdos, but this time there's actually a FEW (like 2) cute guys.
I have to say JDate or online dating places do have normal/cute people I just think they are harder to find. My friend is convinced (because she did not have success with it) that Jdate is for those socially inept weirdos who are either ugly or lacking something that prevents them from meeting someone in real life. Then I asked my friend, well if you think they're lacking something for being on here, aren't we the same!? Therefore, there are OBV normal cute people on jdate if we're on. ha. You just have to be persistent and not really give up too soon after a couple bad dates. Though, I admit, if you're going on dates numerous times a week, like another friend of mine, it can be exhausting. To add another positive note, while I get viewed by MANY (majority of people) I deem unattractive, out of nowhere last night a hot guy frmo Chicago who is moving to DC this summer and will be here tomorrow IMed me. We had a great convo, though I thinkkkk he may be very full of himself. If it's not one, it's the other right?
Do I think it is possible to meet someone and date seriously from this? YES! I know people who have and people who have married from it. I love reading the "success stories" part of the site. So inspirational. Do I think I will? Eh, doubtful, especially in this city. It is sorta scary to talk to people who have been on it for over a year. I mean it makes sense isn't unbelievable, but still I wish it would happen quicker than that for people, especially me. Though, in the words of Dreamgirls, sometimes you need a little patience. I am a believer that everything happens for a reason and will happen in its own time. I do not think I can force Mr. Right to appear in my life when I decide I want him. I just hate not knowing when, where, and who!
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment