This is one of those topics that's interesting just to analyze and discuss because there are so many possible circumstances and conditions under which remaining friends with an ex could occur, although to be honest I think the majority of the time it is not possible. I have done some research by speaking with friends and am compiling their thoughts in this post just for you! It's basically your lucky day.
Anyway, so we have come to the agreement that it is possible to remain friends, but only under specific conditions, which rarely exist.
In order to be friends, the relationship obviously has to end amicably, which is also rarely the case. It is uncommon to have a true mutual break up where both sides are in total agreement and have little to no bitter feelings afterward, but this must exist in order to have and maintain a true friendship.
Furthermore, I hink it definitely takes time to go from seeing each other in one light and acting a certain way to seeing each other in a much different light. It's like going backwards in time, which is really hard to do. You have to all of a sudden not associate a large part of your life with this person, both mentally and physically. When you are used to that person's company, support, and physical touch, it is weird and difficult to all of a sudden not spend time with that person and not be able to enjoy that person's company or touch in the same way. This is why I say you need time first to separate yourself from those feelings and dependencies.
In addition, there can be ZERO lingering feelings. I think this is also tricky because if you were attracted to that person, you probably still are physically attracted (at least on the surface). It is hard to all of a sudden throw those feelings away or ignore them well enough to not let it interefere in a newly platonic relationship.
One of my exes really wanted to be friends and hang out and have things be like they used to be, but what he didn't realize is that it can never be how it used to be because then we'd be dating again and have feelings for each other and act in that manner. I cannot act flirty with him because we are not together and I need to keep those boundaries. It was difficult for him because he still had some residual feelings and wanted cross back over those boundaries. Don't worry, I was strong and held my ground and really explained how it will never be like that again. It can't. I felt bad because I stated VERYYY clearly that I did not feel like how I used to feel and would never feel that way. It was harsh, but it got the point across. Unfortunately, it kinda ended any chances for a friendship. It's just not possible if someone wants it to be more.
I do not know many cases where two people can be great friends with no hopes for a future reunion, but I do know of two specific examples. When I asked my friend how he and his ex gf were able to maintain the friendship, he said, "we remain friends because we were very honest with each other. We do not blame each other for the mistakes we made; instead, we laugh about them." In addition, their breakup was very mutual, though I forget the exact reasoning behind it.
I think another condition that would be helpful is if you both have moved on. Though, by then you probably won't really care to have much of a friendship because you'll be busy with the new person.
Lastly, if the bf or gf turns out to be gay (not that there's anything wrong with that), this also helps diffuse any blame or difficulties in coping with the break-up. Trust me, I've seen it firsthand.
To sum up the post, it is generally VERY difficult and only happens on rare occasions. If he is still into you or you are still into him, do not try it because it will not be pretty.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really think it depends on 2 factors.
ReplyDelete1. how long have you been broken up. you can go from dating to just being friends (for those of you who think you can, you weren't in a real relationship.
2. how long have you been dating your current bf/gf
My first serious ex had been broken up for about 2 years before we got friendly again, then i told her she was making a huge mistake by marrying the guy she was with (a month before the wedding) we got in a fight, i told her he wasn't right for her, and that they would be divorced in 2 years or less. She did not take that very well.
After 2 years i got a call from her and she was very embarrassed b/c i was dead on balls right about the fact that she was going to be divorced. It wasn't that i wanted her back, it was i was trying to be her friend. She told me that all her friends knew she was making the mistake but i was the only one to voice my opinion but she thought i was just being jealous. When she told me she was getting remarried, i told her i was very happy for her and now she had her first kid.
As for my more recent ex, well we really aren't friends yet and i don't think we ever will be. It's more that she did stuff to me that makes me not want to be friendly with her. I honestly only try to keep in touch with her b/c she's a dentist and 1. if i ever need work done, she'll do it for free 2. b/c of my job, i want her as a client. Maybe one day we'll be friends but she would need to step up her game on the friendship side a little.
I also think you need to take your current bf/gf's feelings into play. Do they care if you are friendly with an ex. You always have the right to be friendly with an ex if you choose but if you really love the current person your dating and they aren't comfortable with it, you need to decide is being friends with someone you dated more important than the person you are currently dating. Personally if that answer is yes, then you shouldn't be dating the current person...
I'm too lazy to go back to the post this came from, but I actually took some advice from Nikki. My roommate and I are cooking dinner for a couple of girls tonight. We texted her today gave her a general idea, made sure she liked salmon, but didnt tell her anything about the preparation or sides or anything, keep a little surprise. We'll see how it goes...
ReplyDelete